Keep up with the ever-changing video game industry is a tall order. To stay competitive, you must constantly release new models featuring improved internals. This is why the next-generation nubia Red Magic 8 Pro is arriving only a few short months after the Red Magic 7S Pro. The new model, as might be expected, incorporates Qualcomm’s flagship chipset, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. But a hardware update isn’t the whole story. The Red Magic 8 Pro is an upgraded version of the Red Magic 8 with a few notable upgrades, including a larger battery capacity of 6,000 mAh and a higher-resolution and brighter display.
Quickly assessing the ZTE nubia Red Magic 8 Pro:
- Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth): 164.0 x 76.4 x 8.9 mm, 228 g; Front and rear glass; aluminium frame; pressure-sensitive zones (520 Hz touch-sensing); in-built cooling fan; aviation-grade aluminium centre frame.
6.80-inch AMOLED with 1 billion colours, 120 frames per second, 1,300 nits (peak), 1116 by 2,480 pixels (16:9 aspect ratio), 400 ppi.
- This device has an Adreno 740 GPU and a Qualcomm SM8550 Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4 nm) Octa-core (1×3.2
- GHz Cortex-X3 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A715 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A710 & 3×2.0 GHz Cortex-A510) CPU.
- UFS 4.0 memory with capacities of 128GB 8GB, 256GB 8GB, and 256GB 12GB.
- System software/operating system: Android v13 and Redmagic OS v6.
- Here are the specifications for the camera on the back of the device: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.8, 1/1.57″, 1.0m,
- PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120 degrees, 13mm, 1/4.0″, 1.12m; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Under the screen is the 16-megapixel front-facing wide-angle camera.
- Video capture: 8K at 30fps, 4K at 30/60fps, 1080p at 30/60/120/240fps, and a 1080p front-facing camera at 30/60fps.
- Battery: 6000 mAh; wired 65 watts; Power Delivery 3.0 (PD3.0); 0 to 100 percent in 35 minutes (claimed);
- 3.5 mm jack; stereo speakers; optical fingerprint reader located below screen; miscellaneous features.
The Red Magic 8 Pro was created with one thing in mind: gaming. The Red Core 2 gaming chip is designed to offload some tasks from the main chipset and has its own updated internal cooling system. There are a few things about the Red Magic 8 lineup that need to be made clear before we can move on to the rest of that, though. There are currently two Red Magic 8 models available, the Pro and the Pro+, both of which are discussed in this review. The battery and charging systems are the primary differentiating factors.
Evaluation of the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 8 Pro
The Pro+ premium model has a smaller 5,000 mAh battery to accommodate its faster 165W peak charge rate. It’s the only model on the market that supports up to 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, and a transparent back cover with RGB lighting for the internal fan. It’s unlikely that the Pro+ will be available anywhere besides China.
Our review unit, a Red Magic 8 Pro, comes with a 6,000 mAh battery and a matte black back. The maximum power it can charge at is 80W for the Chinese version and 65W for the global version. In this review, we will be looking at an international version of the unit that is matte black, has 12GB of storage space plus 256GB, has a battery capacity of 6,000 milliamperehours, and can be charged at 65 watts. Now that that’s out of the way, let’s examine the phone’s retail packaging.
See Also: How Does Spinach Help Your Body?
The box in which the nubia Red Magic 8 Pro arrives is a standard two-piece cardboard setup. It’s substantial and well-made, with a metallic sheen and attractive silver highlights. The colour scheme and geometric shapes are both terrific. You can see all sorts of “gamer-y” graphics and drawings on the inside of the box. Included in the package was a thick red Type-C to Type-C cable and a compact 65W PD+PPS USB Type-C GaN charger. A clear, hard snap-on case for the phone is included as well. The case does not fully enclose the gadget, but it is still useful as a bonus.